Converting the Library into a Restaurant
Here is an updated version of an older library lesson that I haven't run in several years.
Here's how it works:
The goal is for students to discover new books, authors and genres through peer interaction, book-talking and reading.
How do they do this?
In a 35-40 minute time frame they will come across many books of all different genres and types, they have to narrow these down to 9 books and then narrow this list again down to 3 books which will consist of their book "meal."
Students will do this individually but it can easily be adapted into a group project, they will also have a chance to discuss their choices with their friends.
I will welcome them into the restaurant, if I have enough energy I will decorate the library with checked tablecloths but I can't guarantee this will happen.
"You're all going to be deciding on a meal today, a meal made of amazing books, you will choose a starter, a main and a dessert.
On each table there will be a pile of books, probably 8-10. I will do my best to ensure each pile consists of new books or books that I think deserve more attention.
Each pile will be a different genre, I've included posters below to download. I've included 5 different genres and manga and comics.
Therefore there will be 7 piles of books on 7 different tables.
Students will be given one genre OR a pile of manga or comics.
I will booktalk a few of the books to get them ready for the event.
They will have 3-5 minutes to go through the books at their table, looking at covers, blurbs, artwork (if any) and reading the first page. They will also be able to discuss with their peers about which ones they like, something that I think is very important.
If they find a book (or more!) that they like, great, they add this title to their menu sheet under Starters. Their goal is to find 9 books they think are amazing.
If they don't find anything during round 1, there is nothing to worry about, they have many other kinds of books to look at and many more rounds.
After 3-5 mins is up, I stop them and will switch the piles up, starting round 2.
The goal is for each student to have seen all 7 piles of books in a 30-35 minute time frame.
Within that time they've hopefully narrowed down 9 books, three for Starters, three for Mains and three for Desserts.
They will then have another few minutes to determine their final "meal" which will consist of one Starter, one Main and one Dessert.
I will be going around to discuss their choices, to find out why they chose what they did and if we have time and if any student is happy to do so, they can present their meal to the class.
I hope this will be a lot of fun, I'm looking forward to running it!



Comments
Post a Comment