Library Lesson Idea: Save the Book

 Here's a quick and fun library lesson activity that uses a traditional debate style method.

Students are in groups of 4 or 5 at the tables. They each think of a book they've enjoyed this year, if they need help, I work at the tables to help students think of a book that they might have enjoyed last year or a series they like. This becomes a great opportunity to talk about the books or genres they enjoy. Often, students ask to go to the shelves to find their book so they can flip through it which is great to see.

Once everyone has a book I tell them that each group must pretend they are in a hot air balloon. However, tragedy has struck and their balloons are falling!

In order to save themselves, they must unload some weight, and as horrible as it sounds, they have to throw some of the books over the side.


They can only save one.

I give the room 5 minutes, roughly 1 minute per person, to pitch their book to their group. Why should their book be the one that is saved? What makes it the book that must survive?

What follows is usually a heated debate at the tables, I walk around listening in, encouraging them to defend their choices at all cost!

When the 5 minutes is up, I ask each table to tell the entire class which book was chosen to stay on board and why.



Hats off to the one year 7 student who said she'd rather crash into the sea in the balloon then throw over Alex Dunne's Book of Secrets! 



It's a lot of fun, generates great discussions around the books and introduces new books to students in a unique way, really love running this programme this week!



Comments

Popular Posts