Year 9 Reading Event: Moonrise and a visit from Sam Smart
This year, all of our Year 9 students are reading Moonrise by Sarah Crossan. If you haven't read it yet, I really recommend it. Written in prose, it tells the story of two brothers, one who is on death row in Texas for a crime he says he didn't commit and the other who is grappling with the fact that his brother is about to be executed.
The two haven't seen each other in ten years, making their reunion even more difficult. It's a wonderful novel and a scathing look at the death penalty in America.
To augment our discussion around this novel, I asked Sam Smart, a trainee barrister and someone who has experience working on death row appeal cases in Mississippi, to speak to our students. Sam delivered a powerful, emotional and truly engaging discussion about the death penalty and how it affects everyone involved, not just those who are being executed.
I'm very excited that Sarah Crossan will also be visiting us in a few weeks, an amazing end to a heartbreaking and brilliant novel.
The two haven't seen each other in ten years, making their reunion even more difficult. It's a wonderful novel and a scathing look at the death penalty in America.
To augment our discussion around this novel, I asked Sam Smart, a trainee barrister and someone who has experience working on death row appeal cases in Mississippi, to speak to our students. Sam delivered a powerful, emotional and truly engaging discussion about the death penalty and how it affects everyone involved, not just those who are being executed.
I'm very excited that Sarah Crossan will also be visiting us in a few weeks, an amazing end to a heartbreaking and brilliant novel.



Comments
Post a Comment