Google Search Tips & Learning About Plastic Pollution via Authorfy
This week in Library Lessons Year 8 students are learning Google search and other research tips while they discuss plastic pollution.
To start, I show them many different Google search Tips I have compiled, you can find this 2-sided PDF here.
Next, I launch Authorfy, a free and amazing resource with loads of schemes of work, author videos and much more.
For this lesson, I use Plastic Sucks! by Dougie Poynter, a new non-fiction book aimed at educating students about the perils of plastic damaging our Earth.
After we've watched a few videos on this topic, I give the students a quick research task: Find 5 myths that surround plastic pollution. There are many misconceptions around plastic. One fact that students (and adults) sometimes aren't aware of is that plastic never really degrades (Source).
I ask them to use their newfound Google search tips to locate their information, we discuss their techniques near the end of the lesson.
I also ask students to find the definition for microplastics and phytoplankton.
With each myth debunked, fact checked, I ask students to keep track of the URL, author, web site and date it was published.
This is great way to get them started on creating bibliographies and generally keeping track of their sources. We also looked at the sites they found, discussed their reliability and made sure everyone knew about the importance of giving credit to other writers.
It's a fun, engaging lesson augmented wonderfully with Authorfy. Really recommend this site, I love using it to help students with their research skills.
To start, I show them many different Google search Tips I have compiled, you can find this 2-sided PDF here.
Next, I launch Authorfy, a free and amazing resource with loads of schemes of work, author videos and much more.
For this lesson, I use Plastic Sucks! by Dougie Poynter, a new non-fiction book aimed at educating students about the perils of plastic damaging our Earth.
After we've watched a few videos on this topic, I give the students a quick research task: Find 5 myths that surround plastic pollution. There are many misconceptions around plastic. One fact that students (and adults) sometimes aren't aware of is that plastic never really degrades (Source).
I ask them to use their newfound Google search tips to locate their information, we discuss their techniques near the end of the lesson.
I also ask students to find the definition for microplastics and phytoplankton.
With each myth debunked, fact checked, I ask students to keep track of the URL, author, web site and date it was published.
This is great way to get them started on creating bibliographies and generally keeping track of their sources. We also looked at the sites they found, discussed their reliability and made sure everyone knew about the importance of giving credit to other writers.
It's a fun, engaging lesson augmented wonderfully with Authorfy. Really recommend this site, I love using it to help students with their research skills.




Comments
Post a Comment