Musical Book Tasting & A Year 8 Reading Challenge!

This week in Library Lessons we've been doing musical book tasting to help kick off our Year 8 Reading Challenge.


This is an idea I took from Jennifer Gonzales and her awesome blog which can be found here.


I set the Library tables up in a square with laminated, numbered placemats. Beside each placemat is a book and a book tasting score sheet.

When the students are in and ready, I play some music. The students walk counter-clockwise around the tables. When the music stops, they must sit down at whatever book they are standing in front of and read for four minutes.

When the four minutes is up, they provide a short reaction to the book on their sheet, did they like the cover? Did the blurb interest them? Is it something they'd like to borrow from the Library? Anything they'd like to add, they can.


They then get up and repeat this process. I ensure that they land on different books each time. And if they do land at the same book, it's no problem to ask them to switch seats before they read.


All of the books chosen today were part of our Year 8 reading challenge where we are seeing which Year 8 English class (including the teacher) can read the most books before 12 July. Winning class gets Krispy Kreme doughnuts.


I give points for each book they read, some books get more points based on difficulty. They get bonus points for books written by a UK BAME author.


Musical Book Tasting is a fun way to get students reading new authors and genres and discussing books.



Comments

Popular Posts