A Book-Tasting Event with BookTrust's School Library Pack!

This week we were lucky to receive our School Library Pack, the yearly free bundle of books that BookTrust sends out to all secondary schools in the UK.


You can find out more about the School Library Pack and see the list of books here.


This year I'm hoping the Booklings (our book club) will interact with the books in several different ways.


To introduce them to the books, I decided to do a book tasting event, something that I haven't done for a few years at Glenthorne.


The idea is simple, I placed a copy of each book in front of each chair along with some book tasting sheets.


I typically get the students to walk around the table with music playing and when the music stops, they have to sit and read for five minutes then review their book on their sheet.


However, since this was at lunch and time was short, I only gave them three minutes to review the book and didn't make them walk around the tables.


It was a relaxed approach to the book tasting program but it worked really well. Students rated their books based on the blurb, cover and what they were able to read in the few minutes they had.


Some students said they didn't want to change their books when the three minutes was up which was fine with me.


Several of the students took books out and all had a hard time choosing which ones to borrow.


The next step is to connect our book club with another one to discuss the School Library Pack!

Comments

Popular Posts