Book Flood Hits Glenthorne!
This week in Book Club, we took part in our own holiday book flood program.
I started the club by discussing the Icelandic tradition of giving books to each other over the holidays. It's known as Jolabokaflod which translates to "Christmas Book Flood".
I told the students that I wanted to create our own book flood in the Library. We had around 30 students present for the club with ages ranging from 11-16. I asked them to think of a book that they really love, a book that they'd want their teachers to read.
I then had them write down a name of a teacher that they'd like to lend a book to from the Library over the holidays.
Students then went out in the stacks to search for books.
We printed out little Library due date slips and on each slip the students wrote a note to their teacher explaining why they loved this book and why they hoped the teacher would read it over the holiday.
We then wrapped the books up and decorated them with washi tape.
Students will give these books to the unsuspecting teachers on the week before the holidays begin.
All books were checked out to the teachers (unbeknownst to them) in the Library and we also have a master list of which book belongs to which teacher that the students filled out.
I was very excited to see so many books from our Book Award shortlist being added to the pile of books to be wrapped.
These books are:
Knights & Bikes by Gabrielle Kent
I Am Thunder by Muhammad Khan
Pages & Co. by Anna James
Ghost Boys by Jewell Parker Rhodes
The Boy At the Back of the Class by Onjali Q. Rauf
The Boneless Mercies by April Tucholke
This program was a huge success and works on so many levels. We had a lot of new faces in book club this week and it was a good opportunity for me to go into the stacks with them and discuss their favourite books and genres.
Having the teachers read a book that the students love creates a bond that goes far beyond the classroom. There's nothing I love more than discussing an amazing book with friends and of course other students who are into it as much as I am.
I've never done a holiday program like this before and I hope to do it every year as a tradition.
Lots of teachers will be getting great books to read over the holidays!
I started the club by discussing the Icelandic tradition of giving books to each other over the holidays. It's known as Jolabokaflod which translates to "Christmas Book Flood".
I told the students that I wanted to create our own book flood in the Library. We had around 30 students present for the club with ages ranging from 11-16. I asked them to think of a book that they really love, a book that they'd want their teachers to read.
I then had them write down a name of a teacher that they'd like to lend a book to from the Library over the holidays.
Students then went out in the stacks to search for books.
We printed out little Library due date slips and on each slip the students wrote a note to their teacher explaining why they loved this book and why they hoped the teacher would read it over the holiday.
We then wrapped the books up and decorated them with washi tape.
Students will give these books to the unsuspecting teachers on the week before the holidays begin.
All books were checked out to the teachers (unbeknownst to them) in the Library and we also have a master list of which book belongs to which teacher that the students filled out.
I was very excited to see so many books from our Book Award shortlist being added to the pile of books to be wrapped.
These books are:
Knights & Bikes by Gabrielle Kent
I Am Thunder by Muhammad Khan
Pages & Co. by Anna James
Ghost Boys by Jewell Parker Rhodes
The Boy At the Back of the Class by Onjali Q. Rauf
The Boneless Mercies by April Tucholke
This program was a huge success and works on so many levels. We had a lot of new faces in book club this week and it was a good opportunity for me to go into the stacks with them and discuss their favourite books and genres.
Having the teachers read a book that the students love creates a bond that goes far beyond the classroom. There's nothing I love more than discussing an amazing book with friends and of course other students who are into it as much as I am.
I've never done a holiday program like this before and I hope to do it every year as a tradition.
Lots of teachers will be getting great books to read over the holidays!


Comments
Post a Comment