5 Tips for A Successful Open Evening in the Library

Open Evenings, or Prospective Parents Evenings can be great ways to promote the Library to potential new students and to existing staff.


At Glenthorne it is a very busy evening with several families streaming into the school and of course the Library to find out what you have to offer.


Here are few tips I've come up with after six Parents Evenings in the Library:


1, Make it Interactive


I find it's always good to have activities that parents and their children can engage in. This year I laid blackboard paper out across one of our tables and wrote a line that I asked them to finish. The line read "A World Without Books is Like..."


We had lots of responses and it was a fun way to get talking about the importance of books and all of the amazing ones that their child can find in the library.


I also had bookmarks printed off that both adults and children could colour in. This was a huge hit!


I printed off a book quiz and had small prizes for those that completed them.


In the past I've had LEGO challenges as well. LEGO is always popular. The challenges are all around creating scenes from their favourite books. 

We are also letting people who come through the library draw their own manga character using the the drawing books we have on offer. I simply printed off some comic book panels and laid them out with pencil crayons for them to complete. 


2. Get Help


I always recruit some Year 9 or 10 student library assistants to hang out in the Library and help out. They will greet people at the door, show them around and explain what we do. These students have been using the Library daily since Year 7 so they know it like the back of their hand.


Parents are always impressed to see students know so much about what's going on in the Library and it's a great way to build confidence in the students.


This is also extremely helpful if you do not have a Library Assistant.

This year, I'm doing something a little different. We have eight students ranging from ages 13 to 18 playing Dungeons and Dragons in the library while parents walk through. The students will stop playing and describe what is happening, explain the rules and generally welcome people to have a try at rolling the dice themselves. I am hoping it will be a lot of fun!


3. Advertise


Before Parents Evening I print off postcards with simple info on it. The Library's hours, how many books we have, who I am and my contact information including our social media pages. I also include the services we provide - research skills, info literacy etc. I have the student library assistants ensure everyone that comes in the door gets one. I provide reading lists, "Books to Read Before You Come to Glenthorne" which are broken down by genre. I update this list every year to ensure new, amazing titles are present. 


4. Greet Everyone


This might seem obvious or impossible based on how many people come into the Library. This year we had so many at one point that I stood on a chair and made a little announcement, thanking them for coming and explaining all of the great things we do.


For many parents an open evening could possibly be an overwhelming and intimidating experience and there's nothing worse than a staff member who doesn't interact or exude the vibe that they don't care. Greeting everyone or doing a big announcement so you don't miss anyone reassures them that you do care. Update: I have been using the chair technique for a few years and it's simply the best way to get the message across. We are going to have over 2,000 people come through, it's impossible to speak to everyone individually. 


5. Partner with other Departments


Partnering with the English Dept is a given and this year was no different. We made "Before You Get to Glenthorne" reading lists with lots of books and brief descriptions about them. Every parent that entered was also handed one of these. The Eng Dept and I shared these and they handed them out in their room as well.


This year we did something different, I was approached by the Music Dept and they asked if current students in the Chamber Choir could come and sing in the Library as parents came in. I was v ery excited about this and it was a huge draw as we opened the doors and had the great sounds of the students singing flowing out into the corridors.


This isn't something I would have thought of on my own but I will definitely be approaching them next year for a repeat performance.

If you have any other tips or hints about taking part in an Open Evening contact me on Twitter @lucasjmaxwell



Comments

Popular Posts