Blind Date With a Book!

Today Year 10 English were given a Library Lesson that focused on a Blind Date With A Book.

I do the program with a slight twist in that I book-talk around 40 books in thirty minutes.

It's a rapid-fire overview of the books that challenges the students to take notes and pay attention to the ones that they think they'd really like.

I try hard to connect them to things in popular culture and other popular books so that they can relate to them and make a decision on which book they want.

The teacher's desire was to ensure they all took away a challenging read as she was concerned that some of the students were reading books that were too easy for them.


After my book-talk, the students move to the tables where all of the books are wrapped up with a few code words on them.

Students spend fifteen minutes browsing the books and trying to work out which one they want.

Then, on the count of 3, everyone unwraps their book. They can then spend a few minutes swapping if they really aren't happy with the one they got. They also all get a free bookmark.

The next phase is to check in with them in a few weeks to see how they are doing. Any that aren't connecting with their books at all will come to see me and I'll get them started on a new one.

It's a fun, light-hearted way to get the students excited about reading!

Comments

Popular Posts