Galaxy Jars in the Library!

As part of our week-long World Book Day celebrations we made Galaxy Jars in the Library at lunch!


I took this idea from Karissa Fast, a Librarian in Ontario, Canada. You can see her original post here.



The theme for World Book Day is "Flying High With Reading" so I wanted to have a fun craft that represented that.

It's a pretty easy program albeit messy which is why I covered the Library floor in drop cloths.

Items you'll need for this craft are:

mason jars
cotton balls
plastic cups
paint
little spoons
glitter
decorative stars
water
Each student takes a jar and places some cotton balls at the bottom. They then take a cup and put one colour of paint inside along with a little bit of water, some glitter and stars. They stir the mixture up and pour it over the cotton balls. Repeat the steps above until the jar is full. The end result looks like you've captured a galaxy in a jar!


This was a hugely popular program. Some feedback captured ranged from "This is the most relaxing thing I've ever done" to "Why don't we do this everyday" to "This is the best library program of all time".
So I know I had a hit with it. It was a great experience and the students really had an amazing time!

Comments

Popular Posts