Reflections of #SLAYLG17 Part Three: Calm & Collected: Managing Behaviour in a School Library

During the #SLAYLG17 conference In Harrogate  I had the great opportunity to attend a session called “Calm & Collected: Managing Behaviour in Your Library” led by Annike Dase.

To start, Annike asked us to write down three sets of thoughts regarding managing behaviour in the library. These were: Things I Cannot Change / Things I Could Change If I Had Help/ Things I Could Change Today.

We stuck these thoughts up around the walls in different locations around the room and then discussed them. What I took away from this exercise is how lucky I am to have supportive management and well behaving students. I was very surprised at some of the answers from the other librarians as a lot of their concerns stemmed around lack of consistency with school policy and students exhibiting behaviour that is totally unacceptable such as swearing at staff and destroying library furniture. Again, I’m very lucky that this is not an issue in the library I manage.
Annike then projected a slide depicting what could be a typical day for a librarian, teacher or anyone, really. Things like, “You get up early and get your family ready for the day, you haven’t had enough sleep. You don’t eat lunch because there is no time, you are constantly interrupted when trying to get things done. Breaktimes are the most stressful parts of the day. You find out you did something wrong and it stresses you out, you go home exhausted” and so on.


Everyone agreed that it depicted a typical day in the life of someone who works in a school. Annike then reminded us that students in our school can have exactly the same kind of day, even worse in some instances. We as librarians / teachers need to put ourselves in students’ shoes as we try to manage behaviour.

Annike discussed how we need to take into account weather and simply being bored when dealing with difficult behaviour. From personal experience I agree with her comment regarding the weather. When it’s raining student behaviour changes remarkably. Also, hormones and school / peer pressure play major factors.

Annike then discussed something called Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs which states that if children don’t receive basic needs: food, shelter, sleep, self esteem and so on, there is no way we can expect them to express empathy towards others or care about our desire to have them behave in the library. The sad reality is that a lot of children’s needs are not met which can translate to what we sometimes describe as simply “being bad” when the reality is much deeper.


We as school librarians cannot control the factors that cause this particular kind of behaviour however we can change our response to it, Annike stated.

Tools that combat negative behaviour according to Annike are controlling the number of students in the library, alter your library space so it is used more effectively e.g. moving passive programming materials like crafts & colouring books to areas where teens congregate, get bored and cause problems. Finally, she suggests making use of your school sanction system.
Students who come to the library “just to hang around” should be given tasks or quiet activities to do. It will either keep them there or prompt them to move on, according to Annike.







On a somewhat contentious point, Annike stated that it is not the students’ job to tidy the library. This point was made after a librarian remarked how students consistently make a mess in the stacks e.g rearranging books in the wrong order on purpose.

I don’t agree with Annike here, I am pretty militant when it comes to students cleaning up paper cuttings, pencil shavings and balled up pieces of paper that should be a basic part of their lives both home and at school. I often remind students that the library belongs to them and they should take care of it. After hearing several of the stories from other librarians, I realise how lucky I am in this regard as the students do not generally make a mess at all.

Another point Annike made was that if students are in the library messing around, it means they feel it’s a safe place to do so and that is a good thing. Again, I’m on the fence with this one. Yes, it’s a good thing that students want to come to the library however I don’t find I’m mentally high-fiving myself when a group of students enter the library and act inappropriately. In fact, I will simply throw them out if they continue this behaviour for more than a minute or after one warning.

We have plenty of students that feel the library is a safe place and do not mess around at all. We have to keep the library sane for them as well.


Annike suggests that we speak to our students and find out what kind of library they want – do they want it whisper quiet? This is a good point and I’ve been meaning to survey the students about library usage and perception for a long time now. However, we also need to take into account what I want, what the Library Assistant wants and what Senior Leadership and the Head Teacher want. In the end, I want a library that everyone feels safe in, one they know they can get on with silent reading or quiet work while meeting their friends and taking part in all of the fun activities that we offer.

In the end, Annike states that there are 3 things that we can deal with immediately when it comes to behaviour in the library:

  1. Understanding factors that influence behaviour – yours and theirs
  2. Creating an environment that minimises some of those factors: library space, signage, distraction activities)
  3. Building good relationships through effective communication: being rational, not emotional. Talking in a calm voice, getting down to the student’s eye level. Being aware of our body language and pointing out the signs in the library.


Annike then pointed out strategies for success:

  1. Look after yourself
  2. See the person in the student, not just their behaviour
  3. Build relationships with them through effective communication
  4. Create a positive environment
  5. Break negative cycles
  6. Focus on moving on
  7. Forgive and forget



For me this was a very eye-opening workshop as I got the perspectives of several different school librarians from around the country. There is no magic bullet that’s going to create the library environment that you want and although I agreed with a lot of what Annike said, everybody’s library is different and their approach might be different.

What’s important for is that we take what we have learned and employ it in our own style that creates a library that serves all of the students that come through the doors while respecting the behaviour policy of the school and those who want a more traditional library atmosphere. It won’t be easy, but nothing worth doing ever is.

Comments

Popular Posts