Using Nearpod in Library Lessons!
This week I've been using a fun new program called Nearpod. This program allows you to create interactive lessons while you track student progress through whatever task you have created.
For Y7 & 8s, we've been using Nearpod to introduce them to the magic behind film trailers because in the next few library lessons they'll be making book trailers in small groups.
For Y7 & 8s, we've been using Nearpod to introduce them to the magic behind film trailers because in the next few library lessons they'll be making book trailers in small groups.
In Nearpod, you create slides, each slide can be as interactive or straightforward if you want. My first slide asks an open-ended question: What do you think makes a good film trailer? By clicking "Share", this slide is instantly displayed on every students' PC screen or tablet.
It also informs me what percentage of the class has completed and who is still writing their answer. Students enter in their names before they log in so I can see who is on task and who needs prompting.
The cool part is, if I see an answer from a student that is really great, I can click "Share" on their answer and it too pops up on every students' screen so we can discuss it.
We then watch a few trailers (A Monster Calls & Captain Underpants) so the students can see the different styles of trailers. Again, I ask an open-ended question: What did you like / dislike about those trailers?
Students share their answers and we once again have a discussion.
Having the questions / answers on every screen is a great way to ensure everyone is on target and really makes the lesson run much smoother as you don't have to worry that a student isn't paying attention.
For fun, we used Nearpod's "Draw" capability and I asked students to draw for me their favourite scene from a book they love. Once again, we get to share the responses with the entire class.
I will be using Nearpod much more in the future, I'd be interested in seeing how other librarians / teachers use it as well!




Comments
Post a Comment