Oak Island, Bigfoot & Mothman, Oh My!
In a series of upcoming Library Lessons, we'll be introducing Year 7 & 8s to a series of historical mysteries and legends in order to teach them how to navigate a non-fiction text.
I've chosen three different mysteries for the time being: Bigfoot, the Mothman & the Oak Island treasure. I'm working on incorporating Stonehenge, the Mary Celeste and Atlantis into the mix.
I'm hoping the popularity of the tv show "The Curse of Oak Island" will generate additional interest in this exercise.
The format will be as follows:
Students will work in groups of 5. Each group will get a mystery, multiple groups may have the same mystery depending on the size of the class.
Each group receives a few books on their topic (pictured above.)
They are then given 5 tasks to complete, each task requires them to get familiar with the text in a different way, see example below.
If you'd like all of the tasks I've created for each mystery, please email me at lml@glenthorne.sutton.sch.uk and I'll send them to you.
By the end of the exercise (which should take two Library Lessons) I will have each group present on their mystery. They will explain their answers and provide their own opinion on what they think the answer is to their mystery.
Once they've completed this, the plan is to have them create a historical timeline using a program called TimeToast. I'll post on this later once the students have completed it!
I've chosen three different mysteries for the time being: Bigfoot, the Mothman & the Oak Island treasure. I'm working on incorporating Stonehenge, the Mary Celeste and Atlantis into the mix.
I'm hoping the popularity of the tv show "The Curse of Oak Island" will generate additional interest in this exercise.
The format will be as follows:
Students will work in groups of 5. Each group will get a mystery, multiple groups may have the same mystery depending on the size of the class.
Each group receives a few books on their topic (pictured above.)
They are then given 5 tasks to complete, each task requires them to get familiar with the text in a different way, see example below.
If you'd like all of the tasks I've created for each mystery, please email me at lml@glenthorne.sutton.sch.uk and I'll send them to you.
By the end of the exercise (which should take two Library Lessons) I will have each group present on their mystery. They will explain their answers and provide their own opinion on what they think the answer is to their mystery.
Once they've completed this, the plan is to have them create a historical timeline using a program called TimeToast. I'll post on this later once the students have completed it!




Comments
Post a Comment