Teaching Students about Their Digital Footprint
Last month I wrote a post about working with students and their presence online.
This week I've revisited this topic, and will be getting students to create word clouds based on their online use.
I used the majority of this lesson from Winnipeg teacher Sherri Steuart.
To start, I visited classrooms and showed them the following video on Digital Footprints:
When this was finished, we had a short discussion on their presence online. Most students I've spoken to are aware of the dangers of online permanency and the consequences it can have, which is an encouraging thing to see.
We then go to the library and use the computers to access Tagxedo, a great word cloud generating program.
With students using Tagxedo, I asked students to answer the following question: "If someone Googled you ten years from now, what do you want them to see?"
Students spent the rest of the lesson creating their word clouds which I will make a Digital Footprint display out of in the near future.
I think it's a great exercise on getting students to think about e-safety and how the online choices they make now may still be accessible in future years.
For now, some of the results are below.
This week I've revisited this topic, and will be getting students to create word clouds based on their online use.
I used the majority of this lesson from Winnipeg teacher Sherri Steuart.
To start, I visited classrooms and showed them the following video on Digital Footprints:
When this was finished, we had a short discussion on their presence online. Most students I've spoken to are aware of the dangers of online permanency and the consequences it can have, which is an encouraging thing to see.
We then go to the library and use the computers to access Tagxedo, a great word cloud generating program.
With students using Tagxedo, I asked students to answer the following question: "If someone Googled you ten years from now, what do you want them to see?"
Students spent the rest of the lesson creating their word clouds which I will make a Digital Footprint display out of in the near future.
I think it's a great exercise on getting students to think about e-safety and how the online choices they make now may still be accessible in future years.
For now, some of the results are below.







Comments
Post a Comment