Reflections on running a successful Open Mic program

I was inspired to try and run an Open Mic program in my school library at Glenthorne after witnessing an impromptu musical performance one lunch time in the area where we have our comfortable seating. Although, after a few years of heavy use, the word "comfortable" should be used with a grain of salt.



By the end of the year I felt like we had a very successful run of Open Mic programs and I thought I'd share with you what I thought worked and what didn't.

Space

We don't have a huge library, but as you can see from the photos, we worked with what we have. You'll find the students will make any space a performance space if you give them the opportunity so don't think that because you have a small library that you can't run an Open Mic.



Frequency

Find out what works for you, I ran our Open Mic once a month on a Friday during lunch time, so the atmosphere was loose. Having it once a month also built up interest, I felt that if I had it weekly or bi-weekly, the interest would fade.

Make Friends With Your Music Dept

You don't need to have an amp or mic, but it makes a huge difference. Getting in touch with the music department was very beneficial, they were more than happy to provide equipment. I was lucky to have a few dedicated musically gifted students help with setting up the equipment and testing it before we started each month.



Stick to your Set List


It might sound like a no-brainer, but creating a list at the beginning of the month and letting students sign up for it was crucial to the success of the program. Take into consideration how long you have for your program and how many minutes each performer will take.  I created a simple sign up sheet with the space for the student's name, what their act would entail and an approximate length. 

I usually have between 7 & 8 performers, each one taking three or four minutes which is perfect for our 55 minute lunch hour. It gives students time to get into the Library and get set up. If we have time at the end of the program, I let any stragglers come up and perform, but the one time I tried the program without a concrete set list, it was a complete gong show and I quickly transitioned from mild librarian into a bouncer at a Megadeth concert. 




Break the Rules

It depends on what rules, of course. For instance, I don't allow food or drink in the library during normal running hours, but during Open Mic, all bets are off. This not only saves time, it gives the students a comfortable, performance like atmosphere. Of course, I threaten all students who crinkle potato chip bags during a performance with detentions for life. 



Give Students Control

If you don't have Student Library Assistants, get some. They have not only been a lifeline between me and other students, they are genuinely a huge help. Put them in charge of making posters to advertise, spreading the word at assemblies, writing reviews in the school newsletter and setting up for the program. We run a school reward system called Vivo which you can look at here.  Students love getting Vivos but putting them in charge of things like Open Mic programs is a reward unto itself and will pay you back tenfold. 

Don't Pull a Kanye

Don't get me wrong, it's important to be a big presence on the mic as you introduce every act. Not only that, it gives you a chance to promote library programs and other events while having your voice amplified! I also tell jokes in between sets, which I can tell from the collective groans of the students that they love every one. That said, give the students control and let a Library Assistant MC and it will run just as smoothly.



That's all I can think of. I won't lie, I was hesitant to start this program because of that annoying bug that sits in the back of my brain that says "What if it fails?!" It didn't fail, it's one of our most sought after programs, the last one we held was standing room only, I was even able to get some teachers to come and watch, giving up their lunch hour to do so. Also, if it fails, so what? You either keep trying until it works or you realize that it might not be the best program for your students.

I feel that an Open Mic program has helped change the perception of what a school library is in the minds of a lot of students and staff. I've seen students come and perform at Open Mic that have never stepped foot through the doors before. 

It's a great creative outlet for anyone and I'm excited to start them up again in September. 

Comments

Popular Posts