Literacy Lessons & Art
I'm excited to have been asked by the Art Department to assist with a literacy-based art project Year 7s will be working on over the next few weeks.
What we've decided to do is get the students to create in-depth profiles of their favourite literary characters, using art as the backdrop.
To introduce them to the topic, I decided to use Read Write Think's great Trading Card Generator.
The generator can be used for almost anything, you can use them to create trading cards for fictional people, real people, real or fictional places, physical objects, even abstract ideas.
These cards can be printed off on card stock and used as actual playing cards, but this is not what I'm doing for this particular project.
For this project, I decided on fictional character of course. From there, I made cards for characters from three different books: Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner, The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey & Miss Peregrine's Home for peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.
What will happen is, I will have the cards projected on a whiteboard, then I will go through the in-depth description of the character that the generator allows. This includes their feelings, their primary characteristics, how they interact with other characters, even their inner most desires, if you know them.
Once I am done explaining the cards, the students will have to draw the characters based solely on my description. I will have of course neglected to provide a profile picture for the characters, which you can do if you are using this program regularly.
I feel this will be a good intro to their topic, introduce them to some new books and hopefully get them excited about reading and art at the same time.
What we've decided to do is get the students to create in-depth profiles of their favourite literary characters, using art as the backdrop.
To introduce them to the topic, I decided to use Read Write Think's great Trading Card Generator.
The generator can be used for almost anything, you can use them to create trading cards for fictional people, real people, real or fictional places, physical objects, even abstract ideas.
These cards can be printed off on card stock and used as actual playing cards, but this is not what I'm doing for this particular project.
For this project, I decided on fictional character of course. From there, I made cards for characters from three different books: Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner, The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey & Miss Peregrine's Home for peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.
What will happen is, I will have the cards projected on a whiteboard, then I will go through the in-depth description of the character that the generator allows. This includes their feelings, their primary characteristics, how they interact with other characters, even their inner most desires, if you know them.
Once I am done explaining the cards, the students will have to draw the characters based solely on my description. I will have of course neglected to provide a profile picture for the characters, which you can do if you are using this program regularly.
I feel this will be a good intro to their topic, introduce them to some new books and hopefully get them excited about reading and art at the same time.



Comments
Post a Comment